We hope that you are all managing to stay safe and well.
We’re sorry for the blanket e-mail to you all, (particularly if you have already seen the announcement on our website and facebook pages), but this was the most timely way in which we could get in touch and let you all know what’s happening with your bookings.
We have been overwhelmed by the support you have shown the fishery and for that we wish thank you all.
Ideally we had hoped to try and meet everyone’s wishes, whether that be for a refund or deferring bookings until later in the year.
However, following the Government’s announcement that the current restrictions will be extended for at least a further 3 weeks, it is clear that for those wishing to defer their bookings until later in the year, there are not enough dates available to meet demand.
With this in mind, we have decided that the only fair alternative is to refund all bookings that have been affected. Initially we will start refunding bookings that were due to take place in March, April and up to the first week in May. We will start processing the refunds next week although we anticipate that this may take up to 7 days to complete.
If the restrictions are extended further, beyond the beginning of May, then we will refund those as well.
We are truly sorry that we haven’t been able to meet your expectations on this occasion, but hope that you will agree that as disappointing as this may be, it is the fairest resolution for all concerned.